Present – Michael Abraham, Dennis Cecere, Peggy Codding, Peter Cokkinias, Beth Denisch, Marti Epstein, Rich Grudzinski, Danny Harrington, Jonathan Holland, Teodros Kiros, Jeff Perry, Wendy Rolfe, Jackson Schultz, and Will Silvio.
- Marti made a motion to accept the minutes from the previous meeting. Beth seconded and the vote was unanimous to accept the minutes.
- Thursday January 16th is the new faculty orientation from 12-1 in the Steve Heck. Jonathan, Jeff, Beth, and Jackson will attend.
- The EthicsPoint Hotline has been used for a faculty member and a comment made in class. Jackson will meet with the dean and faculty member next week. This procedure is not working in a positive way. EthicsPoint is a whistle blower website for embezzling funds and financial issues, not for comments made in class. The MOU group will try and address this issue.
- We discussed the MOU study groups. Grad Studies: Beth, Peggy, Marti, and Rick Dimuzzio (if available). On-Line: Prince Charles, Dennis, Michael, and Ross Bresler (if available). Health: Wendy, Peter, Jeannie Gagne, and Bob Lada (if both available). EthicsPoint: Jackson, Jonathan, and Teodros. Sexual Harassment: Jeri Sykes, Sally Blazar, and Omar Thomas (if both available).
- Student evaluations: it is highly inappropriate for management to solicit us to get our students to fill out the evaluations. It is not our responsibility and we will address it with management. At other institutions they won’t release grades until the evaluations are completed, perhaps we can do something like this. If there are small numbers of evaluations it should not be held against us during faculty reviews.
- Top down management has lead to a general fear and paranoia amongst faculty. Jackson has mentioned this to Larry and also the fact of the UEC or designees meeting with the Trustees.
- We discussed the NEASC report and when we will see the final version. The college objected to the concept of needing more faculty involvement in decisions – they think it’s the Union’s fault and it will not happen as long as the Union is in place. This, of course, is NOT the case. We support faculty involvement and are looking for it.
- Vision 2025 – over the break we will work on ideas and formulate a comprehensive statement at the beginning of the spring semester.
- We discussed a parking spot for the President and having the union provide it. Peter made a motion to provide a parking spot for the president of the union, Marti seconded, and the vote was 10 in favor and 1 against. The motion passed and the Union will begin to provide it next semester.